Thursday, April 5, 2012

Worded Out

I need a break today from my teen "hypergraphia." I saw that term in a book I just picked up, "The Midnight Disease" about compulsive writing, and also the agonizing inability to write, as in, writer's block. It was weird to see one of my behaviors described as a symptom. For many years I carefully filled the page margin to margin and didn't use paragraph indents. Couldn't stand to leave any white space on the page. Even then I noted that writing didn't seem to be a choice.

Several years ago I saw the "graphomania" exhibit on the top floor of the Art Brut museum in Lausanne. So great. But those people were crazy!

Susan found my story thread last night, for the junior high years. It seems obvious now but I didn't see it before. She also said that people often don't know what's funny about their own stuff. I read her an unsent letter that I find horrifyingly embarrassingly way-too-serious but she laughed and said, "oh that's great, they'll love it."

No comments:

Post a Comment